Re: [Evolution] Problem moving messages to inbox

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 21:37 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 22:52 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 16:34 -0800, Auerbach, Steven P. wrote:
I am trying to move messages from my Exchange server mailbox to my
Personal inbox. I get an error message which says:

        Error while Moving messages to
        mbox:/home/spa/.evolution/mail/local#Inbox.

        Cannot append message to mbox
        file: /home/spa/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox: File too large

The file in question is in fact large (~2.1 GBytes) but I have plenty of
free disk space.

Looks like a filesystem problem. Some Linux kernel versions can't handle
files of over 2GB. This has nothing to do with free disk space. Try
compacting your Inbox (File->Empty Trash) or moving some messages to a
different folder (and then compacting anyway).

Could it be that he'll have problems no matter what he does to the
inbox, since 2.1GB is the size of a C int?

Depends on whether his version has the Large File System extensions.
See /usr/include/features.h for example.

Compacting the Inbox will remove any deleted messages, thus making the
mbox file smaller. Obviously he'll run into the same problem again
eventually as the Inbox fills up. The only solution is to keep control
of the size of Inbox (and of course any other mbox files). If this is
painful he'd be better off converting to a file-per-message structure,
such as Maildir.

poc