Re: [Evolution] Evolution and console mail apps

"Patrick O'Callaghan" <poc usb ve> writes:

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 11:03 +0000, David Sumbler wrote:
For various reasons I am thinking of changing to Evolution for mail.
Currently I use Gnus (in emacs), and previously I have used Pine.

The thing that causes me to hesitate is that I sometimes need to ssh
into my box, mainly to keep up to date with my emails if I am away
from home.  Of course, I could use Evolution via VNC, but VNC can be
painful if the client is on a very slow connection.

I believe it is possible to use Evolution in conjunction with other
mail programs (such as Pine and Mutt).  Is this a practical solution?
Does anyone have experience of doing this?

If your mail is on an IMAP server (you don't say) you can use any IMAP
client from anywhere. Just be aware that a) the first client to see a
message will regard it as "new" and the others won't (newness is a state
kept on the server) so only that one will apply filters automatically,
and b) if you want the same filters on each client you basically have to
set them up by hand, or of course use server-side filtering which Evo
doesn't explicitly support. The same goes for spam control.

I use POP3, fetchmail > procmail > gnus, at present.

Or can anyone suggest an alternative solution?  I'm assuming that
Evolution can't be used at all in a console, which is a shame.

True. In fact you can't even use "evolution --force-shutdown" from a
console unless it has DISPLAY defined (presumably it uses the X server
for interprocess communication, but don't quote me).

Having read most of the Evolution manual (pdf) I'm wondering whether
changing from Gnus is such a good idea after all - there doesn't seem
to be quite the same versatility there.  Or maybe the manual just
isn't comprehensive.  One silly example: does evolution have an easy
way to reply to two e-mails at once?  i.e. to quote to contents of two
emails received from one person in a single reply?

David

--

david aeolia co uk