Re: [Evolution] open option for csv attachments

Adam,

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I have used Nautilus to configure this file association.  When I receive a csv file via email I cannot open it directly out of evolution.  However, if I save the file and then navigate to it using Nautilus, I can double click on it and it will open in openoffice calc.  I am trying to bypass the saving step, as I receive various csv files that I just need to see and not save.

Thanks,

Mason Sanders
Applications Administrator
Castlebranch, Inc

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 11:06 -0400, Adam Stein wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:34 -0400, Mason Sanders wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Back in the days of FC2, I could click on a csv email attachment and
> have it open in openoffice calc right out of evolution.  Now with FC4
> and FC5, the only options I have when clicking on a csv are "view
> inline" and "save as".  If I save the file to my desktop and then
> click on it, Gnome knows to use openoffice calc to open it.  I know
> that the mime type handling has changed for the better, but this is a
> rather frustrating side effect.  Am I missing something simple?

You need to set up a mime type action for CSV to use OpenOffice calc.

You used to be able to set up mime type actions thru the gnome control
center (gnome-control-center).  They seemed to have taken it out (I
think I read they did this in anticipation of FreeDesktop).  Check out
the following links for more information on how to add mime assocations:

  http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-26875.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/epiphany-list/2006-June/msg00006.html

I'm sure there are probably other web pages that give you the same
information.

What I've done is have the type of file I want to associate in a
directory, start up nautilius, and then right click on that file (open
with...) and set up the mime type assocation there.