[Evolution] [Fwd: RE: Problems with my email]

This is what I just received from the ISP.

Attached is a screenshot of my setup.

That is all there is.

So what next?

I will not use outlook express.

CSSJR
--- Begin Message ---
Claude,

The denial is not based on the  absense of a RDNS lookup; it is based on
your client software not authenticating.  The transcript you provided of the
SMTP exchange would have worked on our network (dial-up) because you would
have been coming from our network's subnet, which is inherently trusted by
the mail server.  Since you are coming from a foreign subnet, the mail
server requires you to provide credentials to relay (send thru) mail.  This
is a SPAM prevention mechanism that is universal among ISP's.  In Outlook
Express this Authentication can be turned on at:

Tools:Accounts:(Properties of relevant mail account):Servers (Tab):Check the
"My Server requires authentication" checkbox.  While you're there click on
the 'Settings' button to the immediate right and verify the radio buttong
beside "Use same settings as my incoming mail server." is selected.

Essentially this is what used to be referred to as 'POP before SMTP' meaning
it would log into the server as your POP account, and while still logged in
it sends mail as well.  In this way the mail server verifies you are OK to
send mail before allowing the relay.  You'll know it's occuring properly if
your SMTP capture includes log in information PRIOR to the MAIL FROM: and
RCPT TO: commands.

I will add, that the Shield's Up report's suggestion that the absense of a
RDNS lookup for your IP is 'generally a good thing', is false.  Without a
properly configured RDNS lookup there are sites and applications that will
not trust you.  This issue is unrelated to us, however.  What they might
have been better saying, is that the RDNS lookup should be obscure enough
not to lead someone back to your door.

I understand you have a Linux system, which we want to see more of, but to
date we haven't documented all of the possible mail clients configurations.
However, all of the settings are similar among ALL email clients, and should
vary only in field labels.  I assure you there is a setting in there that
will be trivial to enable which will force the SMTP authentication to occur,
and your issue will be resolved immediately.

Keep me posted,
Andy