Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.6 nothing in spellcheck list

Update #2:
This is for the edification of everyone.
Andre's note had the fix.
I am running SuSE 10.1 which has proved to be a frustration in and of itself. (That's another story)
My 10.1 is an upgrade from 10.0 not a fresh install.
The language that I am using is American English as primary but I also have other language sets installed.
I did have aspell installed and had already installed the latest dictionaries for each of the languages that I was interested in having. I installed en_us last to prevent any potential over writing of file-sets that I may need. (a just in case measure).
I checked my gnome-spell and discovered that I had  gnome-spell-0.5-268 installed doing an rpm -q.
I then did some searching for the version I needed and downloaded gnome-spell-1.0.7 from gnome.org.
Prior to installing it, I decided to search for SuSE RPMs that I could use to update the existing install and found that there is a gnome-spell2 installed on SuSE 10.1. Issuing an rpm -q yields  gnome-spell2-1.0.6-22.
After some further checking I could not find any packages for gnome-spell that were of the file-set level that we required. I proceeded to install the gnome-spell 1.0.7 tarball. After restarting Evolution, everything started working. In relation to spell checking. The list is also showing up in "Edit | Preferences | Composer Preferences | Spell Checking" now and are selectable.

Thanks for the help!
jms

PS:
Steps:
  1. Install/update latest to latest level of aspell
  2. Install/update latest available dictionaries for aspell (google search will produce detailed instructions)
  3. run aspell-import
  4. Download gnome-spell-1.0.7 tarball from gnome.org
  5. configure;make;make install gnome-spell-1.0.7
  6. Enable Language and spell check in "Edit | Preferences | Composer Preferences | Spell Checking" menu if you haven't already done so.
  7. Stop and restart Evolution

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 16:03 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
hi joseph,

Am Freitag, den 30.06.2006, 11:34 -0500 schrieb Joseph Stephens:
> I am having trouble getting spell check working on a copy of Evolution
> on my laptop.
> The Version is evolution 2.6 running on Suse 10.1.
> I have aspell 6 and supporting dictionaries installed.
> What got me to this point is that my spell check was broken. I also
> noticed that it was broken for other
> applications as well. That's when I discovered that I needed to update
> the aspell dictionaries for v6.
> After doing this, to things happened. My other applications that use
> aspell started to work in regards to spell checking. Evolution started
> to see the fact that words were misspelled but has no way to manually
> check or offer alternate spellings.
> As I type this email, word highlighting operates on on misspelled
> words. I do not get any options to check the spelling and the spell
> check is actually greyed out. The only option I have is to "add a word
> to dictionary".
> Has anyone had this issue before? I've been looking for a way to get
> evolution to refresh or something so that it will look or see that
> aspell is installed and that the dictionaries are up to date. And most
> important, that I can actually do a spell check and it offer up
> alternate spellings.

Make sure you have "gnome-spell" >= 1.0.5, "aspell" and
"aspell-XX" (where "XX" is your locale, for example "aspell-en" for US
English or "aspell-en-uk" for British English) installed, depending on
your distribution package system.
Evolution does not use "myspell".
Then go to "Edit | Preferences | Composer Preferences | Spell Checking",
and enable the available languages.
As you haven't told which languages you have installed, please also note
that some languages require "gnome-spell" >= 1.0.7 to be supported by
Evolution.
You can also check gnome-enabled dictionaries by using the application
"gconf-editor". The GConf key "/GNOME/Spell/language" should contain a
space-separated list of the languages you have enabled (i.e. "en-US es"
for US english and Spain).

cheers,
andre