Re: [Evolution] installing Evolution updates on FC4

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 13:15 +0100, J.L. Blom wrote:
I hesitate as it may be a rather stupid question but I cannot seem to
install newer versions of Evolution under FC4.
Yum update is completely satisfied with Evolution 2.2.3 ( actually I'm
too) and can't (won't) find any new version. However, I found on the FC4
site version 2.5.90. Innocently I loaded it down (I can't write
downloaded it) (all available evolution-nnn.rpm files) and tried to
install it with rpm. The list of missing dependencies was overwhelming.
However, yum could solve that for me (I thought) and I used the command
'installocal' however, after a deep thinking and looking on the net, yum
told me there were a lot of missing dependencies.
The only reason I want to update for is that maybe the possibility
exists to connect my PDA with Evolution using bluetooth, as I have given
up on Opensync.
I can of course compile from source but that's no solution for the list
of dependencies has nothing to do with the compilation.
System: Linux 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4  x86_64 (AMD64) Evolution 2.2.3.
Does anybody know of a good solution for this problem? I know it is
actually not an Evolution problem but it is due to the different special
gnome libraries and subprograms necessary to run Evolution.
I hope somebody can give help as Evolution is one of my most essential
applications.

If I was you I would wait a few more days and install FC5.  The 2.5
version of Evo is a development version; the stable version will be 2.6.
I believe that 2.6 is due out with Gnome 2.14 on March 16th.  FC5 is
also due out on March 16th and I understand it will include Gnome 2.14,
hence will include Evo 2.6.  (If any of that is wrong, could someone let
me know!)

If you don't want to upgrade to FC5, then there is a yum repository of
Evo 2.4 at nrpms.net, from which all the dependencies will be satisfied.
However, you should be aware that it means upgrading to Gnome 2.12.

Pete