[Evolution] Evolution: how to check the incoming mails?

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:21:26 +0100
From: Nicola <n_ultimodruido email it>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution: how to check the incoming mails?
To: Alberto Zeni <alberto zeni fastwebnet it>
Cc: evolution-list gnome org

Il giorno mer, 08/02/2006 alle 22.39 +0100, Alberto Zeni ha scritto:
 1. Re:  Evolution: how to check the incoming mails? (Andre Klapper)

using clamav is definitely possible by using evolution filters, but i
myself have never used a virus scanner.
after installing clamav, you can add a message filter in evolution
("edit | message filters"). under "If", choose "Pipe to Program", add
the path to the virus scanner (e.g. "/usr/bin/clamscan", i don't know
clamav so i'm just guessing), and add "returns: 1" (i assume). under
"Then", you can for example choose to move the infected mails to a
seperate folder followed by a "Stop Processing" rule. if you put that
filter rule on the top of your filters, it should work.

Hello,
I made the filter you showed me and afterwards I sent a mail to myself attaching the EICAR virus test, but it wasn't detected by ClamAv.
Maybe I made some mistakes in the procedure.
With reference to that filter I noticed that under "Then" I was only allowed to move my infected mails inside folders related to Evolution itself, so I made a (sub)folder under the Evolution Incoming Mails one. Besides, it happened twice, that after having closed Evolution I tried to start it again, but unsuccessfully as the system hanged and not even "Ctrl+Alt+Del" worked, so I had to switch off power. I must say that these are the first times I am using Evolution. Previously I used to manage my mails by Mozilla Thunderbird under Windows 98SE, the O.S. I am using in dual boot with Ubuntu 5.10.
Best Regards,
Alberto Zeni

Ciao Alberto,
I did the same yesterday but it works for me. The filer I'm using is set
so:
In incoming section:
IF:
pipe to program | /usr/bin/clamscan --quiet - | return | 1
THEN:
Move to | directory you want

you should first detect where clamscan is. From a terminal you can do it
with:
$ which clamscan
Important is the "-" sign at the end of the field pipe to program.
Hope this helps you,
ciao Nicola

Hello Nicola,
I followed your suggestion and, at last, it works for me too :-) .
I verified it sending, a few times, a mail to myself with an attachment containing the compressed virus test eicar (eicar_com.zip) and it was detected and sent to the separate folder I had made for that purpose, so, I tried again, but this time, instead of attaching the compressed virus test file (eicar_com.zip) I attached the uncompressed one (eicar.com) and I didn't receive that mail I sent to myself, as before.
I tried a few times but never received the mail. I wonder why (??!!).
Cheers,
Alberto