Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.6.2 ... I just want to cry...

Hey Sushma,

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 18:52 +0530, Sushma Rai wrote:
    I wish I could get THAT far.  I'm still hosed up by the whole ssl
thing.  Latest update at least had my mailbox correct (instead of some
global list I happen to own on the exchange server) so that's major
improvement.  But it still refuses to use SSL (non-ssl is prohibited
here - not up for discussion and I agree with the management on that
point 1000 percent) even though I can authenticate using SSL.  The
account edit always shows http: for the OWA URL (even though it even
says "use_ssl=always" in the gconf registry for that account) and I
can't authenticate against that.  Change it to "https:" and I can
authenticate, but then then Ok button is grayed out and nothing I do
will re-enable that button.  I have no choice but to cancel and then I
can't authenticate because non-ssl is prohibited (it can't even connect
to an non-ssl port so it bitches that the URL may be bad).  Last version
where I was even able to get this two work was ages ago when the dialog
had a "use_ssl" option you could set to "always" and THAT worked.
Hasn't worked since that dialog object disappeared.  Downgrading to
2.6.0 won't resolve that (and downgrading far enough to resolve the ssl
problem would break in-line gpg which is even worse for me).

Please try using 2.6.3 and don't try changing the gconf flags.
Disable the account you are already having and try creating
a new account using "https://"; in URL and if you fail to authenticate
please file a bug report in bugzilla.gnome.org, specifying the error
you are getting and also E2K_DEBUG traces for Evolution.

        I've been trying 2.6.3 since it came bubbling out of Fedora Core
updates a couple of days ago.

        No joy.

        In fact, I've seen a return of the problem where I end up with
"pgp-keys" instead of "mhw" in my OWA URL after running
ximian-connector-setup-2.6.  I thought that problem had gone away with
the last 2.6.2 update, but I guess not.

        I'll try filing one or more bugzilla reports but I think we've got more
than one problem here and I'm not sure how to file it or what to call
it.  I can't add an Exchange account at all from within Evolution
(Forward button is never enabled after Authenticate),
ximian-connector-setup-2.6 seems to screw up the auto-configuration
(unless I'm very specific on that OWA URL to include my mailbox), it
drops the https back to http when I try and edit the account added by
ximian-connector-setup-2.6, and I can't correct the OWA URL back to
https by editing the account (OK is never enabled after Authenticate
when editing the "Receiving Mail" tab).

for getting debug traces, set E2K_DEBUG=4 in a console and run Evolution
See http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/bugs.shtml for more details.

        Ok...  Sooo....  Attached to this message are several files...

        evolution.steps         The step by step process I've taken.
        evo.log                 The log file from the first run
                                (attempted to add the account)
        evo_con.log             Log file from ximian-connector-setup
        evo-2.log               Log file from second run
                                (attempted to edit account)
        evo-3.log               Log file from third run
                                (prompted for password twice)
        accounts.xml            gconf-tool dump of evolution accounts
                        gconftool-2 -g /apps/evolution/mail/accounts
                                (last one is the Exchange account)

        So, how many bugs do I have here?  I think I can count several.  Do you
want me to file this as one bugzilla report or many?

        1.) Can't add the exchange account from within evolution
        2.) https: from connector setup gets changed to http:
        3.) Wrong mailbox gets selected by connector setup autoconfigure
        4.) Can't edit or correct OWA account information
        5.) Sporatic multiple password prompts and dialogs

        I THINK #1 and #4 are tightly related.  For some reason, the
"authenticate" process seems to be succeeding but is NOT reenabling the
button to continue on.  IMNSHO, those buttons should never be disabled
in the first place.  If the information entered is wrong, and the button
is enabled, then the user gets an error, which is no worse than now (and
maybe better, since he should get an intelligent error message which is
sorely lacking at this point since there is no indication of WHY the
button is gray and no way to determine why the button is gray).  If the
information is correct, then we should just accept it and not depend on
the enable switching logic (which appears to be faulty here).

        Some of this may be due to some plugin conflict or some sort of upgrade
version skew.  I recently had a Scalix connector installed and found
that I couldn't even add ANY accounts after upgrade Evolution.  That I
solved by disabling the Scalix plugin and I've since removed it
entirely.  But this problem has been present since long before I tried
playing with Scalix (basically all 2.6 version have been busted in this
way).  If there is some piece or plugin leftover from some previous
version, that could be part of it.  I've been playing with different
versions and doing straight update since 2.0 days.  Is there a
possibility that it's an install vs upgrade problem?  I'm strongly
tempted to totally uninstall evolution and reinstall.  But, would I also
have to blow away all my account information as well?

        Here are the plugins which are installed and enabled:

Mark All Read
Itip Formatter
Disable Account
Subject Threading
Groupwise Account Setup
Copy tool
Exchange Operations
Local Address Books
Import to Calendar
Default Sources
Startup wizard
Calendar Publishing
Mailing List Actions
Automatic Contacts
Default Mail Client
Weather Calendars
Print Message
Hula Account Setup
HTTP Calendars
New Mail Notification
Select one source
Save Selected
Mail to task
Groupwise Features
CalDAV sources
Mark calendar offline
Local Calendars
Spamassassin junk plugin

        Seems to me this was working (somewhat, at least) in the 2.2 / 2.4
version.  What ever versions still had the "SSL_Always" selection option
seemed to work for me.  But I was forced to upgrade to 2.6 in order to
get the PGP Inline feature which was vital to me.  I have NOTHING in
the /usr/lib/evolution/2.[24]/plugins directories, however.

        Sooo...  Thoughts?  How many bug reports does it appear I need to file
for this?  Is there anything else I can gather to include with the bug
reports?

Thanks,
Sushma.

        Regards,
        Mike

P.S.  Couple more comments in-line below...