Re: [Evolution] user profile

hi eric,

Am Freitag, den 11.08.2006, 17:05 +0200 schrieb lists epe at:
I'm puzzled about the evolution user profile, which contains all my
precious personal data:
It's not possible to move the profile in .evolution and
.gnome/something.. to another machine, whenever I change PC, or when I
get a new one which has a new hostname.
In the debian sarge version it seems that the directories inside the
profile are named similar to:
.evolution/addressbook/local/123456789 1234 12 $HOSTNAME

Evolution stores your data in
        $HOME/.evolution/
your account settings in
        $HOME/.gconf/apps/evolution
and your passwords in
        $HOME/.gnome2_private/Evolution
(the passwords are not stored encrypted, just base64 encoded). SSL
Certificates are stored in
        $HOME/.camel_certs

"How can I transfer all my Evolution data between computers/to a new
partition/to a new computer?"
Make sure you haven't started Evolution on the new computer/new
partition yet.
First of all, shut Evolution and its background processes (Evolution
Data Server, Evolution Alarm Notify) completly down by using
        evolution --force-shutdown
Then copy the contents of $HOME/.evolution/,
$HOME/.gnome2_private/Evolution, $HOME/.camel_certs.
Then dump your Evolution settings stored in GConf by running
        gconftool-2 --dump /apps/evolution > some-file.xml
where "some-file.xml" is the name of the file the information is written
to.
On the new computer, make sure you are not running gconf (by
        ps ax | grep gconf
for example; you normally have to leave gnome for that and then run
        gconftool-2 --shutdown
). Then import those settings by running
        gconftool-2 --load some-file.xml
and log in to gnome again.

I think there should also be an option to store&backup a profile
(configuration only / full data backup) so that it can be saved
somewhere else.

yepp.

cheers,
andre