Re: [Evolution] calenders on WebDAV?

Pete Biggs wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 13:48 -0600, Andrew Ziem wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 09:49 -0600, Andrew Z wrote:
Does Evolution 2.4 or 2.6.1 support read/write calendars on WebDAV?  Is
there a special URL?  In 2.6.1, when I try On The Web with webdav:// or
webcal:// URLs, I cannot modify the calendar.

Our office is trying out sharing .ics calendars on Apache WebDAV
(without authentication) between Mozilla Lightning, KDE Kontact, and
Apple iCal, and so far all work OK except Evolution.

2.6.1 supports caldav - which as far as I can fathom out is like webdav,
but sufficiently not like it that anything works as you'd expect.  From
experience I would say that caldav uses similar net protocols to webdav
(but not compatible) and it stores the data in multiple .ics files (one
for each appt) rather than one big one like iCal.

I'm actually quite peeved about it all - I specifically asked a while
ago if 2.6 supported iCal over webdav and the answer was an unequivocal
'yes'. See:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2006-February/msg00279.html

So having waited patiently for 2.6 to come out, it was quite
disappointing to find that it didn't work.

To get read/write web based calendars on Evo, you need to use caldav -
'On the Web' calendars are read only.
I assumed the same as you for CalDAV, but in practice, it doesn't work at
all.  When I click the checkbox to enable it, almost nothing happens.  The
box stays unchecked, and the calendar never shows up.

As far as I can tell that's because Evo can't understand what it's
getting back from the server so immediately disables it.

In the end I've started using the OSAF cosmo server - it does support
caldav and works OK with Evo:

    http://cosmo.osafoundation.org/

It's still early days for the software though and I'd be very wary about
using it as a production server.
Too bad.  I really prefer Apache and WebDAV for a few reasons:
* Many other applications (such as Kontact and Apple iCal) support WebDAV.
* WebDAV on an existing Apache is /much/ easier to setup than Cosmo.

Andrew