Re: [Evolution] LDAP Addressbook Contents

--- Murray Trainer <mtrainer central-data net> wrote:

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 01:21, Scott Anderson wrote:
Hi Murray:

I don't have an answer for you, but would also like to know how to fix this.  I currently have
other LDAP problems with outstanding bugs reported.  (See Bug 322964 � LDAP stalls on
contact
search)  If you could confirm this bug I think it would have a better chance of getting fixed.

Scott

--- Murray Trainer <mtrainer central-data net> wrote:

Hi Scott,

I managed to get Evolution 2.4.0 searching LDAP addressbooks properly
apart from the initial clear button not showing anything which appears
to be the expected behaviour now.  I had a look at bug 322964 and I
don't get your problem.  We are using search scope one unlike you.  Also
we are not using a secure connection. Sounds like the connection isn't
getting closed after the first search.  Have you use searched your ldap
addressbook the same as you do in evolution using the command line
ldapsearch utility successfully? That will confirm if it is a problem
with Evolution or your LDAP server.

Murray

Thanks for the reply.  The ldapsearch utility works fine with the -x option.  So I believe the
problem is with Evolution.

I have tried a few more configuration combinations and found one where the bug I filed goes away.
However, now I am getting a lot more evolution-data-server crashes.  I'll update my bug report to
include the new crash information.

The summary is search scope "one" never works.  Searches return nothing.  Only search scope "sub"
will return any contacts.

Use secure "Never" returns the most matches.  It returns the same contacts as ldapsearch.  It
crashes.

Use secure "Whenever Possible" and "Always" return the same matches.  These crash too.

Here are the details:

Common Configuration Settings:

Login method: Anonymously
Search base: <empty>
Timeout: 1 minute
Download limit: 100

Variations:

Configuration 1:
-----------------
Port: 389
Use secure: Never/Always/Whenever Possible (tried each one)
Search Scope: one

Search experiments:
1. Name begins with "s"
 => Returns nothing
2. Name begins with "scott"
 => Returns 4 contacts
3. Name begins with "sam"
 => Returns nothing
4. Name begins with "scott"
 => Returns nothing
(Does not crash)

Configuration 2:
-----------------
Port: 389
Use secure: Always
Search Scope: sub

Search experiments:
1. Name begins with "s"
 => Returns 20 contacts, including sam
2. Name begins with "scott"
 => Returns 4 contacts
3. Name begins with "sam"
 => Returns nothing
4. Name begins with "scott"
 => Returns 4 contacts
(This is new: Just crashed the address book:  The Evolution addressbook has quit unexpectedly.
Your contacts for ldap://server.company.com:389/??sub will not be available until Evolution is
restarted.)

Configuration 3:
-----------------
Port: 389
Use secure: Whenever Possible
Search Scope: sub

Search experiments:
1. Name begins with "s"
 => Returns 20 contacts, including sam
2. Name begins with "scott"
 => Returns 4 contacts
3. Name begins with "sam"
 => Returns nothing
4. Name begins with "scott"
 => Returns 4 contacts
5. Name begins with "m"
 => Returns 20 contacts
6. Clear
(Crashed again: The Evolution addressbook has quit unexpectedly.  Your contacts for
ldap://server.company.com:389/??sub will not be available until Evolution is restarted.)

Configuration 4:
-----------------
Port: 389
Use secure: Never