Re: [Evolution] "TT" formatting in emails

When I paste from an old email to compose a new one, I notice that the
"TT" button toggles as I move my cursor through the message, although
the button is grayed out. Does this have any effect on the formatting
of my email? If so, how can I get rid of it?

Sounds like you are composing the mail in plain text mode (non-HTML),
since that button is insensitive.

This is totally harmless, don't bother. :)

This happens, when you paste text from a source that uses a monospaced
font, e.g. another plain text mail. It does not occur if you paste from
a source using a variable width font.

The reason is simple: The Composer internally uses HTML always, even
when composing a plain text mail. This is to easily support features
like automatic line-wrap at 72 chars by default, different paragraph
styles, indenting, lists or even centered text. Yes, in plain text
mails. :)

The font attribute of the original source is preserved [1]. That's why
the Typewriter "TT" option is enabled for those chunks. Since you are
writing a plain text message anyway, all chars are assumed to have the
same width (the default font is monospaced), so the option is not
available.

Hope, this clears things up.

I was also wondering if Evolution is generally good with linebreaking,
so that the recipients of my messages do not get lines of uneven
length.

Yes, it is. :)

When composing plain text messages, the default paragraph style is
"Normal", which will automatically wrap lines at 72 chars. (This line
wrap should be less than your composer window width.)

Quoted text defaults to "Preformat", which does not break even lengthy
quotes in the middle of the line, but preserves the line wrap as you
received the mail.

Preformat is useful for writing plain text mails, too -- for example for
commands or links, that don't fit in 72 chars. That way the recipient
does not get line breaks in the middle -- and you don't have to write a
disclaimer to "please ignore line wraps"... ;)

I'd say, just try it out. Play with it, and maybe send yourself a mail
or two and reply to it. :)

The spoiler: Since you're asking, you probably have set a variable width
font for the fixed width font setting. Check this Preference and adjust
it if need be, including whether or not to use the GNOME wide setting:

  Edit / Preferences / Mail Preferences / General / Fixed Width Font

Even when using a variable width font, plain text mails are assumed to
be displayed in monospaced fonts, thus wrapping occurs at a fixed amount
of chars. Using a variable width font, this will look like uneven line
lengths while composing. HTH

...guenther

[1] Try the following: Compose a plain text mail, write a few words.
Copy some text, just as you mentioned in your OP. Note that toggling but
always insensitive "TT" option, while going though that text. Now switch
to HTML mode (Format / HTML)...