[Evolution] Calendar Alarms vs. Idle Time

Hi guys. I've been using Evolution for email for a good long while now,
and just started using the calendar aspect of it for keeping track of
classes and other crazy things like that.

Of course, being a college student, I'm not at my desk most of the time,
so the alarms are only useful to me if I can receive them remotely.

I've got a pager, so no problem - I can just have it send an email to my
pager's address! Wait, no... That option's grayed out for some reason.

No problem... I wrote a simple shell script to send the email based on a
single argument, and it works great!

Or does it?

Twice now, I've been away from the computer all day, and never received
a single alarm - only to receive five or six moments after I unlocked my
terminal!

(I have verified, by adding logging to my shell script, that the
bottleneck is in whatever process is responsible for launching my
script.)

I've looked around on the net and specifically in the gnome list
archives, and have not found any previous mention of this problem, so
hopefully we can forgo the obligatory cries of 'RTFM' and "Google it".

Additionally, this is difficult to reproduce. I've tried very nearly
every combination of manually locked, automatically locked, alarm with
pop-up, alarm without pop-up, calendar has focus, mail has focus, etc.,
and I can't reliably reproduce it. (It seems to only happen if the
terminal has been idle for extended periods of time before the first
alarm is supposed to go off.)

Has anyone heard of this before? Does anyone know of a workaround?

Software revisions:
        Evolution 2.0.4
        XScreenSaver 4.18, 14-Aug-2004
        I'm not sure how to reliably query the version of gnome that I'm
running, but among other things, rpm --query --all listed:
libgnome-2.8.0-2. Most of the other gnome packages seem to be right
around 2.8.x too.

If anybody cares, the distro is a patched FC3.

Thanks for the great software, and thanks in advance for the replies!
--Alex (Malex) Markley
http://mnet-media.com/
http://whoisEMIT.com/
http://mai-adventures.com/

Useless Info:
  Listening to: Sheltershed - Airspace - Photographic
  System kernel: Linux 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3
  Reliability: 18:11:27 up 19 days, 9:21, 4 users, load average: 1.36, 1.41, 1.13