Re: [Evolution] GTK/glade Accelerator Keys

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 23:05 -0400, Eric Preston wrote:
Overview:

I'm trying to read a large volume mailing list with threaded view.
When I'm bored with a thread I want to hit a key to advance to the next
thread.

Problem:

There is no accelerator key in evolution for View -> Go To -> Next
Thread, though there is a menu item, but I hate using the rodent when
reading mail.

Question:

Why can I not remap gtk menu item accelerators like I can in most well
written apps (even nautilus supports remapping accelerators keys with
the hover and type method)?

Evolution uses bonobo menus and not gtk menus directly, and so somehow
this doesn't work (presumably a bug in bonobo)

I did manage to delve into the source and xml files to discover that I
can remap most menu items (one I figured out the mess of xml) to add
something like:

      accel="*control**shift*n"

to the appropriate xml entry for a menu item.

But the question is... why can I not remap accelerators with the hover
and type method? Does this have something to do with evolution using
libglade (which I'm assuming is used to generate and load the xml)?

those aren't libglade xml files, they're bonobo xml files.

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.