[Evolution] GTK/glade Accelerator Keys

Overview:

I'm trying to read a large volume mailing list with threaded view.
When I'm bored with a thread I want to hit a key to advance to the next
thread.

Problem:

There is no accelerator key in evolution for View -> Go To -> Next
Thread, though there is a menu item, but I hate using the rodent when
reading mail.

Question:

Why can I not remap gtk menu item accelerators like I can in most well
written apps (even nautilus supports remapping accelerators keys with
the hover and type method)?

I did manage to delve into the source and xml files to discover that I
can remap most menu items (one I figured out the mess of xml) to add
something like:

        accel="*control**shift*n"

to the appropriate xml entry for a menu item.

But the question is... why can I not remap accelerators with the hover
and type method? Does this have something to do with evolution using
libglade (which I'm assuming is used to generate and load the xml)?

I do have,

        gtk-can-change-accels = 1

in my gtkrc (and set with gconf).

Any insight is appreciated.