Re: [Evolution] Junk detection in folders other than INBOX?

I am running Evolution 2.4.1 and have spamassassin running on my mail
server.  As such I don't to Junk detection on Evolution but rather, I
have a filter that sets Status Junk if the mail server tags the message
as spam.  This has all been working fine and still does for the most
part.

Every now and then I go to my Junk folder and move the messages from
there to a folder in my INBOX I call spam (INBOX/spam) for archival
purposes.

What I have been seeing lately is that messages I move out of INBOX/Junk
into INBOX/spam are seen again in INBOX/Junk.  Previously this did not
happen.  It seems, from observation at least that the Junk functionality
is working on more than just INBOX now and is Junk flagging messages in
all folders.

Any thoughts on why this is happening now and how best to handle it?

That's how it is designed to be.

Notice that you only set Status Junk in your filter. You do not move the
mail. And yet the junk marked mail is *not* being displayed in Inbox,
but rather in the Junk folder.

Evolutions Junk folder (the one with a special icon) is not a physical
folder, but a vFolder. That means it is like a search over all your
folders. Just like Trash.

The Junk folder shows all mails marked as junk. The Trash folder shows
all mails marked for deletion. Mails are not moved for neither of them.
Those vFolders show the mails with special flags, whereas the mails
themselfs still are physically located in their source folders. (For
"deleted" mails you can verify this by unchecking View / Hide Deleted
Messages.)

Now if you "move" a message out of your Junk folder to any other folder,
they still will be displayed in Junk, cause they still got the "Junk"
status assigned...

I'm not entirely sure on how to make this work as you'd like. This sure
depends on what you actually want and your account settings. Is this
IMAP or POP3?

As your "Mail Server" (you didn't mention anything else) runs
SpamAssassin and marks mails, you don't need the built-in Junk feature
in Evo anyway. Cause manually marking mails falsely tagged as Junk or
non-Junk by SA on your Mail Server most likely will *not* do anything
but setting this flag. The big advantage of learning these manually
marked mails (training your Bayes DB) does not work. Unless your Mail
Server happens to be the very same machine as your workstation...

Thus you simply could disable any Junk filters (you probably did not
enable this anyway) and simply change your existing custom filter:

Instead of setting the "Junk" status for mails identified as junk by
your mail server you could just move those mails to a physical folder.
Which probably is what you intended in the first place anyway.

...guenther