Re: [Evolution] Message deletion bug?

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 10:49 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 21:35 -0800, Des Dougan wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 15:12 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
[I tried this on 2.4.1 and 2.5.1 with the same result.]

First some background which may or may no be relevant. The way I handle
spam is for a server-side SpamAssassin process to file suspect messages
in a SPAM folder. For false negatives (i.e. undetected spam) I manually
move the offending messages to a subfolder of SPAM and periodically
process it by logging in to the server.

Processing involves a little shell script on the server which calls
sa-learn on the contents of the subfolder.

After that, I delete the contents of the subfolder using Evo. I then
expunge the subfolder to clean it out.

Patrick,

This sounds neat - it's bugged me for a while that I'm processing spam
in two places (I also have SA on my server). Would you mind posting your
script - I'd like to try it on my set-up?

It's pretty specific to my situation, and almost embarrasingly simple,
but here goes:

<script>
#!/bin/bash
# Process spam

cd ~poc
cp /var/spool/imap/p/user/poc/SPAM/spam/*. SCRATCH/
chown poc.prof SCRATCH/*.
su -l -c "sa-learn --spam SCRATCH/*." poc
rm -f SCRATCH/*.
</script>

Notes:

1) The IMAP server is Cyrus, so messages are individual files and they
belong to the Cyrus user. This means you need root (or Cyrus) login on
the server and the script has to be run as root. However SA has to run
as *you* so it'll keep its hash tables specific to your spam. Therefore
you have to copy the messages and change their ownership, then change
personality to you to run SA.

2) I didn't bother including an option for --ham since SA hasn't given
me a false positive in over a year. YMMV.

3) You could change the "cp" to a "mv", but in any case you need to
resync Evo as it won't notice automatically (or maybe it will, opinions
vary). I don't do it that way as I'm keeping a corpus of old spam in a
separate folder and I use Evo to move messages into it. This also
applies to spam detected by SA, once I've looked it over for false
positives (increasingly a waste of time IMHO).

Anyway, best of luck :-)

Patrick,

Many thanks. I'll try to get some time this weekend to play with it.

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support