[Evolution] Problem with junk and spam filters

Is there a special trick to getting the filters to work?  They do not
seem to work at all on my Ubuntu 5.10 system.  If I make a filter that
is supposed to check the subject for breaking news in the subject line I
still get e-mail with breaking news in the subject line.  Under setting
I have checked both "Check incoming mail for junk," and "Include remote
tests."  Evolution is 2.4.1.  Thanks, Dennis