Re: [Evolution] Can I monitor selected folders?

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 08:40 +0530, Parthasarathi Susarla wrote:
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 10:59 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
For IMAP accounts, Preferences->...->Receiving Options has a check box
for "Check for new mail in all folders". I have a lot of folders on the
server and only some of them are ever going to have new mail in them
unless I drag it there. Checking every folder can be slow (my
conjecture; I haven't measured it).
Obviously the "Check for mail in all folders" option would take a little
more time, than check just the Inbox. Though the delay should not be
very obvious (unless the network is *really* slow).

I think slowness is more a function of the server load in this case.

It would be nice to be able to monitor specific IMAP folders rather than
all of them. Has anyone filed a feature request for this?
No you cant, AFAIK there is no such request.
(Subscriptions come close to what you have in mind, although you would
be able to see *only* subscribed folders then, which does not make much
sense overall.)

Exactly.

Note that some of the folders are shared, i.e. mail arrives in them "by
magic" and not via Evo, so there's no chance of invoking a filter.
Magic?? (and not via Evo??). If you are using Evolution, they should
obviously come thru Evo.

Not.

1) Server-side spam filtering (SpamAssassin) puts probable spam directly
in a personal SPAM folder on the server. I don't use Evo's Junk filters.

2) Shared (public) folders used for local mailing lists receive traffic
directly from the list handler, Mailman in our case. These are lists
with thousands of members and using Cyrus shared folders makes a huge
difference.

Other examples (not applicable in my case) would be procmail filtering
on the server, etc.

poc