Re: [Evolution] Pilot synch

Hi Veerapuram,

My answers are inset under your points

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 02:34 -0700, Veerapuram Varadhan wrote:
Hi Andrew, Martin,

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 23:44 +0000, algreig bigpond net au wrote:
Thanks Martin,

That has been my experience for some years now, too.  What I find
difficult to comprehend, is that in this whole open source thing, that
the gnome/evolution developers have not used the jpilot sync code,
because it works really well, every time.
I haven't tried JPilot, though, gpilot isn't bad as well.  I have got my
palm syncing all the time, with evolution+gpilot.

 My problem is that in my
tiredness and frustration I screwed up in jpilot and did not choose
"restore handheld" but merely synchronised and my empty pilot blitzed
my
desktop data in jpilot.  Now I need to get my data back from evo onto
the pilot.  It would be nice if there were a way to export the address
data from evo to jpilot, and then at least I could start using my
pilot
again.

From your original mail, it looks like something goes wrong when trying
to create a backup.

I have had backup disabled all the time

Would you mind trying the following?

1) Kill any running "gpilotd" instance.

I ran "top" to see if gpilotd was running, it was not so I went to next
step

2) Run "gpilotd" from a terminal.  This way you can see debug messages
on the screen.

I typed gpilotd<TAB> here is the output
[andrew localhost ~]$ gpilotd
gpilotd-control-applet   gpilotd-session-wrapper

There is no plain "gpilotd" to run so I went with gpilotd-control-applet

3) Configure EAddress conduit the way you want and make sure you don't
have other non-evolution conduits enabled for syncing.  This is to
narrow down the issue.

I disabled all conduits except for eaddress and I selected a one time
action of "copy to Pilot".

Now I will tell you what I did prior to this exercise.
I deleted MyPilot from my home directory.
I shutdown evolution $evolution --force-shutdown
I did $gconftool-2 shutdown
I went in to the ~/.evolution folder and in the address subdir I deleted
the pilot folder

I had taken the batteries out of the Pilot for several hours and then I
had to set up the basic config again eg region time and date, so a blank
pilot - blank canvas.

So when I ran the gpilotd-control-applet it treated the pilot as a first
time event. And a new deal was struck, user is now Andrew Greig 501
which is my user number in Mandriva, hooray!

4) Mail us the result with the screen dump. (of gpilotd).
[andrew localhost ~]$ gpilotd-control-applet
** Message: Pilot name -> MyPilot
** Message: Pilot id   -> 501
** Message: Pilot username -> Andrew Greig
** Message: Pilot creation/rom = 0/0
** Message: Cradle Type -> Serial
** Message: cradle device name -> Cradle
** Message: cradle device name -> /dev/ttyS0
** Message: Pilot Speed  -> 57600
** Message: Timeout -> 2
gpilotd-Message: Activating object OAFIID:GNOME_Pilot_Daemon
** Message: pilot = MyPilot
** Message: Pilot name -> MyPilot
** Message: Pilot id   -> 501
** Message: Pilot username -> Andrew Greig
** Message: Pilot creation/rom = 0/0
** Message: Cradle Type -> Serial
** Message: cradle device name -> Cradle
** Message: cradle device name -> /dev/ttyS0
** Message: Pilot Speed  -> 57600
** Message: Timeout -> 2
eaddrconduit-Message: in address's conduit_get_gpilot_conduit

eaddrconduit-Message: create_settings_window
eaddrconduit-Message: save_settings
ecalconduit-Message: in calendar's conduit_get_gpilot_conduit

ecalconduit-Message: create_settings_window
eaddrconduit-Message: save_settings
ecalconduit-Message: save_settings
etodoconduit-Message: in todo's conduit_get_gpilot_conduit

etodoconduit-Message: create_settings_window
eaddrconduit-Message: save_settings
ecalconduit-Message: save_settings
etodoconduit-Message: save_settings
eaddrconduit-Message: save_settings
ecalconduit-Message: save_settings
etodoconduit-Message: save_settings
eaddrconduit-Message: save_settings
ecalconduit-Message: save_settings
etodoconduit-Message: save_settings
eaddrconduit-Message: save_settings
ecalconduit-Message: save_settings
etodoconduit-Message: save_settings
[andrew localhost ~]$

5) (Note:- Exchange addressbook/calendar syncing has some issues that we
are trying to resolve, so, use some other addressbook for this testing).

I do not run anything with Exchange server, my Evolution synching is
with a standalone computer for all intents.

HTH,

V. Varadhan

Thank you for your assistance.

I checked the ownership attributes of my address data file in .evolution
and it was set to andrew:andrew which should be fine as my user and
group number are 501.  But should I change it to 501:501 ?
Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia