Re: [Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Questions about evolutionfuture plan

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 14:10 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

For example, I posted a patch which speeds up the display of the "Unread
Mail" folder by _several orders of magnitude_, but it won't be merged
anytime soon because it disables hiding of junk messages (which IMHO was
so inefficiently implemented that it should never have been allowed in,
but now that we have the "feature" we can't just rip it out, even for a
100x speedup in displaying the message list).  See the "Performance with
Exchange 2003" thread, among others.

Then why don't you replace the "feature" with a better implementation
and add it to that patch of yours?

I get the impression that none of the Evolution developers have even
tried my patch, no one around here seems to care about performance.  If
I could get one other user to confirm the massive speedup, maybe someone
would notice.

Note that Evolution only recently reopened it's HEAD branch. And that
very recently the role of maintainer has switched to Harish. Please give
him a chance. Perhaps he just forgot about the patch or overlooked it?

Perhaps are performance issues less the focus-of-development at this
moment?

I wouldn't say that a patch that didn't get approval is (always) because
of political reasoning.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at pvanhoof dot be