[Evolution] Re: How to add options for attachment display?

When I asked:

How can new types be registered with the system so that a double-click
will fire up the appropriate viewer?  If it helps to make the problem
concrete: how do I associate /usr/local/bin/acroread with attachments
that have a .pdf suffix?    Needless to say, I'me really looking to
solve the general problem.

several helpful people (thanks to all!) replied that it was a Gnome
feature and not anything specific to Evolution.

Unfortunately, I'd already explored that route myself before I even
asked the question.  Nautilus knows what to do with pdf files and
acroread fires up appropriately.

However, Evolution steadfastly refuses to do The Right Thing, which made
me think it's an Evo problem.

Hmm, still baffled.   Any further ideas will be welcomed.

Cheers,
        Paul