[Evolution] Address book - contact migration - populating an LDAP data store with imported vcard data

I migrated about 1200 contacts to the Evolution address book using the
csv2vcard perl script provided with the FC3 evolution release (2.0.x).

I found several issues with the script which I changed and posted
separately to the Evolution patches mailing list.

The following are issues more specific to the successive vcard import
into Evolution.

1) Import into an LDAP data store.

I set up openldap (default FC3 version) as a data store.  While I can
write to it, the process is somewhat unstable.  Selecting all the
contacts and using the copy to function (right mouse button) crashes
Evolution after < 100 contacts are imported.  I had a similar problem
importing directly into the LDAP store.

Using

Edit > Select all (highlighting the personal address book)
Edit > Copy
Edit > Paste (after moving to the LDAP address book)

worked.

2) Discrete address fields not maintained using LDAP data store.

Discrete address field elements, i.e. City, Province, Post Code, are
moved to the monolithic "Address" block when a record is saved to the
LDAP data store.  If a record is subsequently exported as a vcard from
the LDAP data store, it is missing the "ADR;TYPE=xx" entries which do
appear if the export occurs from the Personal Address book.  Thus, there
is some information loss in this process.

Is there a workaround?

3) Spouse's Name

A spouse is correctly inserted in the dedicated field in Evolution.
However, the text "Spouse's Name: " followed by the value are also
appended to the note field.  This is redundant.

4) Non US (ASCII) characters

My locale is en_US.UTF-8; the output file from csv2vcard was not,
presumably it maintained the same charset as the input file.  This
caused many records to be mangled or partially imported - without any
warnings.  The solution was to open the resultant vcf file in gedit and
change the character coding in the save file dialog box before re-saving
the file.

Best regards,

Sean