[Evolution] No outgoing mail

I was using evolution with no problems until yesterday when mail stopped
going out. I still receive mail with no problems. My setup is using smtp
to obtain mail from a mail server in my network. I can send mail from my
system with mutt or by telneting to the mail port directly. The only
errors I see in the logs are these:

Mar  2 10:16:32 oz rpc.statd[1615]: Received erroneous SM_UNMON request
from oz.progeny.com for 192.168.1.53

which seems to occur whenever I try to send mail from evolution. The ip
address that it lists is indeed the mail server. Googling for this error
has been less than satisfying since the only references to this error
message seem to refer to NFS. Incidently (or maybe not) my home
directory and thus my Maildir is NFS mounted from that same mailserver system.

I have checked that statd is running and that the permissions allow it
to write to /var/lib/nfs/sm. Corresponding errors also appear in syslog
on the mail server. Can someone point me to a source for how to
fix this?

Vicki