[Evolution] Re: Remote Calendar using https

Is this a feature that is in the plans for an upcoming release? It seems odd to me that evolution would support SSL everywhere else (imap, pop, smtp), but not for http/webdav connections. I think nearly every other calendaring app out there, which supports webdav-based calendars, supports https. SSL is ubiquitous these days, so I don't understand why no one has added this functionality.

This is the one missing feature that keeps me from using Evolution as my primary PIM instead of Thunder/Sunbird.

I suppose that using VPN is a solution of sorts, but it's not really practical. I don't want to add (and maintain) a vpn service on my webserver just so that I can view my calendar over a secure connection, and as long as there are other clients out there that support https, I'm simply not going to do it. VPN is overkill and too much work for this simple task. This is exactly what SSL is for!

Otherwise, Evolution is a great app. So I really hope it will support https soon.

Thanks!

-C-

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:52 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 09:44 +0000, Paulo Silva wrote:
> Hi to all,
> > Is it possible to use a remote calendar accessible by https? In the new
> calendar dialog, if I use a https link, the "Add Calendar" button
> becomes unavailable.
> no, it's not possible yet :(

If you're not terribly concerned about security (I am, you may not be),
then you could probably use a VNC applet written in java, to connect to
an Xvnc, in which you could run evolution.

If you are concerned about security, you might still be able to do
something similar with the addition of some form of tunneling, like
zebedee, ssh, PPTP (a protocol designed at Microsoft, and there have
been many problems in Microsoft's -implementation-, but according to
Bruce Schneier, the problems are -only- in their implementation, not in
the protocol's design), IPSEC, OpenVPN, or whatever.

For linux<->linux, openvpn is particularly easy to set up...  That is,
if you're on a 32 bit x86 system - I had to downgrade a x86-64 machine
to FC3 for x86 (32 bit), because the tun module didn't work, and OpenVPN
requires that module (?).