Re: [Evolution] Help Interpreting an Error Message

You could try running evolution from a terminal with CAMEL_DEBUG=all set in the environment, and see what happens with the exchange with the pop server.

It sounds a bit to me like it might be lower-level though, is it using ssl?  No idea what patches ubuntu applies, i know debian applies enough that it is hard to support.