Re: [Evolution] Palm Sync Debugging

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 15:16 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 08:46 -0500, Jeremey Wise wrote:
I have one last thing to get evolution to work to its utter perfection.
So far every thing is running swimmingly so I figured I would tackle
PALM sync.

Specs: Thinkpad T41, Samsung i500 (phone/palm), SuSE 9.2,
gnome-pilot-2.0.12-3,pilot-link-0.11.8-126, evolution-pilot-2.0.1-6.2,
evolution-2.0.1-6.2

Error: I run gpilotd-control-applet I can enable "Backup", "Test", and
"ECalendar" but if I enable "ToDo" or "EAddress" gpilotd crashes. I will
then get duplicate contacts in my palm and it also hangs the palm hard.

Questions:
1) Poking around I find
wisej wizej:~/.evolution/addressbook/local> directory where I believe
would be all the local contacts. Can I backup just this director and
restore it in my tests to make sure I don't mess up my contacts?

Yes, that should be fine.
Yah. Figured that out.

2) Some of my contacts get sent to my palm but not all. I have not found
the key or methodology as to why some are and others aren't. Is their a
set of key fields that must be filled in?

I'm not sure what you mean here.
As in the though I factory reset the phone and have EAddress "disabled"
and do a sync it copies some of my contacts over but not all of them.
For example: I have a contact filed as "Novell" for all that companies
contact details. I have another one filed as "Microsoft", etc.... When I
plug in the palm "Microsoft" comes across but not "Novell" (or others).
I have not found the patter as to why one would and another would not. I
was wondering if their was some way to debug this or if their were 'key'
fields (last name, work number???) that had to be filled in to allow
transfer (though they seem to be the same).

3) Is their a way to sync both local and global ECalendar events to the
palm. I have personal events scheduled and don't want to have them show
up in the corporate calendar so I keep them local, but my goal is to
have my phone remind me if I have a corporate meeting coming up.

Currently you can only sync one calendar at a time.

I guess I will have to accept this. It would be nice to have as I try to keep personal and work separate.

PS:
Whenever I do try to sync with "EAddress" it hangs my entire system. I have given it 1/2hour and it never
lets go which would
point me to hardware if it was not for the fact that I can sync dozens of times with "ECalendar" and it never
hangs.

Is their a way to debug this? I have also started reading the posting http://howto.pilot-link.org/evosync/
which is rather dated
and compiles from scratch (I am doing going from a basic SuSE 9.2 load) but I will post back if I catch
anything.

The crash from gpilotd also gives no output to /var/log/messages or to terminal from which the session is
started so I can not even supply that.

-JP
--
Thanks,

Jeremey Wise
jeremey wise agilysys com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official position of Agilysys Inc.