Re: [Evolution] Neewbie

Hi Ismal,

Iam totally new to Evolution, as well as Linux to be honest.

Welcome then to both!

How can I configure Evolution to so that I can pick up my emails from
Lycos and Gmail? I switched to these as I believe I cannot pick up my
Hotmail emails.

I am not familiar with Lycos or Gmail settings but picking up emails
from both is more a factor of whether they make POP retrieval available
or not.  Go to their sites and do a search on "POP retrieval" or
something similar.  What you are looking for is the name of a POP server
that you can then enter into a new account set up through Evolution
(Settings -> Mail accounts).

Again it's a matter of getting the right information from Lycos and
Gmail (assuming they allow POP retrieval as opposed to having to see
your email there through a browser).

I have tried numerous settings with Lycos and I just keep getting
strange messages like "I'm a hammer" or some POP message about it
being successful but not being able to get them.

They either don't allow POP retrieval or else you are putting the wrong
information into the account being set up in Evolution.

Any "easy/baby steps" for me to follow?

Oftentimes places like Yahoo, Lycos, and Gmail will have instructions
for setting up accounts in Microsoft Outlook.  Just look at those
instructions paying particular attention to the POP and SMTP server
names.  Try setting up your Evolution account to mimic the setup needed
under Microsoft Outlook for new accounts.

Also, I know this is NOT an Evolution problem but i have tried
Mandrake 10.1, Ubuntu and now am on Suse 9.1, how on EARTH do I get
the wireless to work? Can it be SO hard??? I hate to think Mr Gates is
going to "own" my ass !! (SORRY for the rude language, I'm atad
frustrated).

May I suggest that you stick to one Linux distro at a time Ismail?  And
work your way through whatever problems you are having one at a time on
that distro?

Bear in mind that Linux will not be like Windows where everything may be
a mouse click away.  It will involve work, lost productivity and use of
your computer, and other hassles until you work your way to setting up a
system the way you like it. It's well worth it but I don't know if you
know what you have gotten yourself into Islam.

You are better off to pursue this kind of problem on forums or lists
that are associated with whatever distro you end up with.  I don't mean
the Evolution problem but rather the problem you are having with
wireless networking.  This is just a list for Evolution user
problems :).

Hope that helps.

Carlos