Re: [Evolution] Re: Syncing Evolution

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 11:26 +1100, Andrew Greig wrote:
Hi Paul,

I have tried to sort out the gpilotd and also kpilot, as the korganizer
has come a long way forward.  But neither Evo-pliot nor kpilot would
sync.  I fired up jpilot and it worked beautifully.  I ran through my
contacts on the desktop and deleted the duplicates, then I synched with
the Pilot and all of the duplicates in the Palm were deleted as well.  I
added some Calendar events and tasks and added an extra address, and
synched again, fantastic -- perfect, I even caught the fact that it was
updating AvantGo (something I do not use due to a lack of local
channels).  So I guess the question needs to be asked " What can the
Evo-pilot authors steal from jpilot?" cos it works and Evo does not.

Better documentation would have probably reduced the number of
complaints I have seen Web-wide...

I have been a loyal and vigorous advocate of Evoution

me too...

 since before it
was 1.0, I think that 1.2 was excellent, 1.4.6 not too shabby, but I
have had more difficulties with Evo 2 than just the pilot deal.

same here...

  Maybe
by 2.5 it will all be OK again.  In the meantime, for my business sake I
will have to use jpilot as my scheduling tool, and Evo or Mozilla as my
mail client.

This is what I came up with. It works for me:

1. Create a script that executes gpilotd and place it in
~/Desktop/Autostart. (This script tests if gpilotd is already running so
as not to start it again.):

#!/bin/sh

GPILOTD_RUNNING=3D`/bin/ps -A | grep gpilotd`
#check to see if gpilotd is already running

if [ ! -z "$GPILOTD_RUNNING" ]
then
        #start gpilotd -- where it's located in FC3
        exec /usr/libexec/gpilotd >> ~/gpilotd.log 2>&1
else
        #don't bother, gpilotd is already running
        echo "gpilotd already running" >> ~/gpilotd.log 2>&1
fi

#End of script

Make it executable, restart X or drop back to your session manager and
log back in. gpilotd will be running and ready to let your Palm device
sync with Evo!

Now I sync every time, with Evo open or not.

Hope this helps you reconsider Evo, Andrew.

Paul
(a happier Evo user, now)