Re: [Evolution] Message deletion bug?

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 11:07 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 15:00 +0100, guenther wrote:
This sounds neat - it's bugged me for a while that I'm processing spam
in two places (I also have SA on my server). Would you mind posting your
script - I'd like to try it on my set-up?

Speaking of server side SA filtering, there have been some notes posted
to this list some months ago to integrate this (at least 2 different
threads). Basically it boils down to client side spam[cd] and sa-learn
[1] scripts, that hit your server. Maybe these posts are helpful:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2005-May/msg00030.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2005-May/msg00067.html

Yes, I'd seen these and they look like a good idea, but I worry about
certain details:

1) I don't like that you need to keep a local database and push it to
the server.

I don't see the need for a local database.

custom sa-learn script just could pick up this mail and send it to a
centralized server -- the one running the "spam fighting tool" on it.
One possible solution for this "sending" is actually sending by mail to
a dedicated "user", attaching the mail to be learned. The originl user
account is known, so a script on the recipients ond can do the magic.

For one thing, I use several installations of Evo and under
this scheme they'll learn slightly different things, so depending on
which one does the push behaviour might change. Probably not a biggie,
but still. Also, I don't want my 15000 users to be *able* to run rsync
to the server, at least not without a great deal of thought. I wonder if
IMAP POST could be twisted into doing it. Hmmm ...

2) I don't like any solution which is client-specific, but that's just
me, always thinking of the users (almost none of whom use Evo).

The basic problem is that every solution I've seen (including mine, see
recent message) requires some level of login access to the server.

Uhm, ever thought about sending a mail? This does not involve logging
in.

This
is simply a non-starter for a large user base such as ours. Note that
this isn't an Evo issue. IMHO it's basically a gap in mail access
protocols (IMAP etc.) which were designed before spam was a problem.
There are several proposals out there for complementary protocols for
mail administration, which would be the natural place for this stuff,
but none of them seem to be widespread.

...guenther