Re: [Evolution] Desperately trying to empty the trash!!

Try removing the '*summary*' file corresponding to that folder (to be
honest I can't remember where that will be, perhaps
'evolution/local/Inbox/mbox*summary*', and then restarting.

It is a long-standing bug that isn't fixed yet on any released version
of evolution.

(FWIW, we no longer support anything older than 2.2.x).