[Evolution] Evolution not apearing

Hello,

I've got a very strange problem with Evolution.
I'm running Debian (unstable) and gnome (2.10)
when I start evolution the task manager shows that Evolution is
running as does a "ps ax" but I can't see evolution. literally nothing
is shown on my desktop. The task manager says "Evolution - Calendars"
and the workspace switcher shows a full screen window of Evolution,
but it is nowhere to be found. I already tried removing the .evolution
but the situation remains the same.

Starting evolution from the command-line gives:
$ evolution
es menu class init
adding hook target 'source'
calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state is 2

calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state is 2

*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state is 3

calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state is 3

calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state  in ok is 3

calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state  in ok is 3

calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state  in ok is 3

calendar-gui-Message: ********* the state  in ok is 3

Packages:
$ dpkg -l | grep evo
ii  evolution                          2.2.3-2
  The groupware suite
ii  evolution-data-server              1.2.3-2
  evolution database backend server
ii  evolution-webcal                   2.2.1-1
  webcal: URL handler for GNOME and Evolution
ii  libebook1.2-3                      1.2.3-2
  Client library for evolution address books
ii  libebook8                          1.0.4-1
  Client library for evolution address books
ii  libecal1.2-2                       1.2.3-2
  Client library for evolution calendars
ii  libecal6                           1.0.4-1
  Client library for evolution calendars
ii  libedata-book1                     1.0.4-1
  Backend library for evolution address books
ii  libedata-book1.2-2                 1.2.3-2
  Backend library for evolution address books
ii  libedata-cal1.2-1                  1.2.3-2
  Backend library for evolution calendars
ii  libedata-cal5                      1.0.4-1
  Backend library for evolution calendars
ii  libedataserver1.2-4                1.2.3-2
  Utily library for evolution data servers
ii  libedataserver3                    1.0.4-1
  Utily library for evolution data servers
ii  libedataserverui1.2-4              1.2.3-2
  GUI utily library for evolution data servers
ii  libmultisync-plugin-evolution      0.82-5.1

What is going on and how can I get my evolution working again ?

Pieter