[Evolution] Installing from source over am older RPM install

Hello,

I have an RH9-based distro, with an RPM install of evo 1.4.5.

I would like to go 2.0.1, and I now have the sources. As I understand, I
need to "make install" the libraries like gal and gtk-html, then start
the evo compile which will use them, right? All of this will install
into /usr/local .

But I have older versions of the same libraries installed, via RPM, into
/usr .

Do I need to remove the RPMs before getting as far as compiling (not to
mention using) Evo 2.0.1 ? If not, how do I tell the compile to always
use the stuff in /usr/local and never use the older version ?

I'm not speaking of interchangeable use of 1.4.5 and 2.0.1, I know this
won't really work. But I'd really like to keep 1.4.5 until the 2.0
compile finishes.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik