From: connector-admin lists ximian com on behalf of Paul Smith
Sent: Tue 2004-09-21 00:01
To: evolution ximian com
Cc: connector lists ximian com
Subject: [connector] FW: Connector regression from Evo 1.4.x to 2.0?

I wondered if anyone from the Evolution mailing list had
thoughts/opinions on this; posted to the Connector list on Friday...

Hi all;

So, I got Evo 1.4.6 and Connector 1.4.7.3 (from CVS) working with my
company's Exchange 2003 service.  I have an up-to-date Debian GNU/Linux
"sarge" system.

However, Evo 1.4.6 is depressingly dodgy and dies in whole or in part
unexpectedly.  Checking the bug system I see that many of these issues
are marked as "Fixed in Evo 2.0".

At the same time I saw Gnome 2.8 is out (of which Evo 2.0 is a
component) and there's a Garnome setup for it, so I decided to grab it
and see if it was any better.

Well, the new Evo looks great and so does Gnome 2.8, but now
Connector won't connect to my Exchange server anymore!  When I try to
log in it tells me "cannot authenticate to server (password incorrect?)".
Of course I've tried numerous times and made sure I entered my password
correctly.

When I upgraded I renamed all my Gnome directories including .gconf* so
I started completely from scratch.  I configured Evo connector
identically in both sessions:

The the 1.4.6 settings, that work:

    Receiving Mail tab:
        Exchange Server:        <servername>
        Windows Username:       <domain>/psmith
        Use SSL:                never
        Authentication Type:    Secure Password (Plaintext password also works)

    Receiving Options tab:
        GC server name:         <gc servername>
        Mailbox name:           psmith
        OWA path:               /exchange
        Public Folder server:   <servername>

The 2.0 settings, that don't work:

    Receiving Mail tab:
        Exchange Server:        <servername>
        Windows Username:       <domain>/psmith (also tried <domain>/psmith)
        Authentication Type:    Tried both secure and plaintext

    Receiving Options tab:
        GC server:              <gc servername>
        Mailbox name:           psmith
        OWA path:               /exchange
        Public Folder server:   <servername>

As alluded to above I've tried all kinds of combinations and nothing
works in 2.0.

So, this appears to be some kind regression between 1.4.7.x (the version
of connector I'm using; I've tried both 1.4.7.2 and 1.4.7.3 (from CVS)
and they both appear to work) and 2.0.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be or how I can track
it down?  I need to get this resolved if at all possible!  Thanks...