Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.4 and Evo 2.0 on the same Linux

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:06 +0200, guenther wrote:
> I'm interesting in installing Evo 2.0 and testing new functionalities.
>
> I'm not able to find any rpm for my distro (fedora core 2) and I will
> try to compile from source
>
> But before to start this new adventure I need to know if it is possible
> to install Evo 2.0 after compiling it to another temporary directory and
> continue using my old evo 1.4
>
> I have a full backup of my PC but I would like not loss my actual mails.

Yup, this is possible.

To really separate them I recommend installing to a different $prefix,
so you can remove it easily. Although you might need to build a lot
more. Garnome [1] is a great tool to accomplish this, btw. ;-)

You need to install into a different prefix as the settings window stuff isn't versioned properly pre 2.0, AFAIK.
For testing you might want to start with a new user, dedicated to
testing only.

I ran a mixture of 1.4.x and 1.5.x a couple of months ago myself on one
account. And there are some issues you should be aware of when doing
this. Some internal settings have changed and aren't compatible with
1.4.x. I was able to change them using Tools / Settings though, every
time I switched versions.

- Default folders (Sent, Drafts) will not be shared. They will we reset
  to the default (local) ones. So if you never changed this, you won't
  notice it.

- Signatures won't work, until you reset them every time you switch
  versions.

Doh! Now while typing I realize I don't remember all of the minor issues
I posted previously... ;)  I might have forgotten one or two...

Evolution 2.0.0 uses a new hidden directory, ~/.evolution. You might
want to backup your old ~/evolution data directory anyway.
The main problem is all local mail is stored in that different location.  So if you use pop, etc, then any new mail wont be accessible to the other version, etc.

If you want to test it, create a new user, copy your data there, then run evo there, it will import the mail and let you play with it, as guenther suggested above.
--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"