[Evolution] Contacts borked

I've skimmed through the mailing list archives and bugzilla but have not
found this mentioned.  If I'm incorrect, and this has been discussed,
feel free to point me in the right direction.

I've been using Evolution 1.4 for a while, and was tempted into
compiling 1.5.93 by the webcal support, improved interface, etc.  I'm
using Gentoo BTW, and am doing all of this through portage.  Everything
works wonderfully, with the big exception of Contacts. I understand that
this is pre-2.0, but ideally I'd like to get it working, and at least
present this issue as a potential bug.

All of my data was imported correctly, except I am completely lacking an
address book.  When I click on "Contacts" on the bottom right, I see an
empty white space where the mail tree resides, and nothing on the right
except grey.  If I right click on the empty white space I get  "New
Address Book", and greyed out I see "Delete" and "Properties".  If I
click "New Address Book" a new dialog is created, but before it fully
renders the application dies.

When reading emails, I can right-click on addresses and add them to
contacts, but they do not appear in the address book.  When composing a
message, if I click the "To:" button I get the expected dialog, but no
entries under the "Address Book", and obviously I have nothing to select
to move to the "To:", "Cc:", and "Bcc:" fields.

My Contacts do work fine using 1.4 and I wonder if for some reason 1.5
was not able to migrate them over properly, if the addressbook.db file
was somehow malformed, etc.  I  saw the executable "evolution-
addressbook-clean" in the /usr/libexec/evolution/1.5/ directory, and
when I run it, I see two entries: myself that I manually added by
running New->Contact while in the empty Contacts view, and one for the
Evolution List that I added by right clicking on an address in an email
I received on this list.

Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated, and if you require
more information about my system, or you would like copies of files and
such, let me know.

Thanks,
Mike Messmore