Re: [Evolution] Verifying message

Using 2.0.2.  I get a pause when displaying a lot of mail which I get
from mailing lists.  Along with getting a line that says 'Valid
signature, cannot verify sender'.  I also get a few 'Invalid signature'.

That's the desired behavior (see below).

The mail is signed using GnuPG or S/MIME. Both is part of the mail
itself (just like the old style header) and Evolution interprets it and
displays the status of the signature to the user.

The first status you mentioned says just this: The signature is
confirmed valid, but GPG cannot verify the senders identity. Which
simply means, you personally don't trust this key directly or
indirectly. You get more verbose info, by clicking the signature button.

The latter means, the signature is broken due to some (unknown) reason.

How can I turn off this check?  I changed my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf to
disable 'auto-key-retrieve', but that did not make a difference and may
not be what I really want all of the time.

You can't. What good is a digital signature, if it isn't checked?

Evolution simply checks the GPG signed mail. It's desired behavior and
there is no other way of telling the status of a signature. Only
checking IDs which are already in your key chain ain't an option (cause
Evo still depends on GPG for this) and would break the net of trust.

Disabling 'auto-key-retrieve' (GnuPG option) simply will lead to not
retrieving unknown keys. It is not related to checking the mail, as this
decision is already made by Evo before GPG is called at all.

If you don't care about the status of the signature, feel free to ignore
it. But an user configurable option to generally disable the check,
would be a pretty bad option, IMHO.

HTH

...guenther