[Evolution] Very slow mail retreival (pop) on Evo 2, Mdk 10.1

I have installed fresh from ISOs but upgraded from 1.4.6(? - Mdk10
default)via the built in upgrade utility and had it leave my old folder
for later (if that's important).  The problem is that the retreival time
(maybe 5-10 minutes for 50 messages) for mail is horrible - and it
usually causes 100% cpu usage as well.

I have no problems with my DSL internet connection just downloading and
surfing, so it seems only to be Evo that has a problem.  Since there is
stuff stored in .gconf now, could that be it?  I have my pop server
settings to leave messages there, but even if I go delete old messages,
and retrieve new ones, the same slow retreival occurs

How can I try to diagnose this problem (which I didnt have prior to
upgrading to 10.1)?  Let me know any console output that would be
useful.

Thanks,
Robert