Re: [Evolution] Migration problem Ev 1.4.5->2.0.1

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:29:19 +0800, Not Zed <notzed ximian com> wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 15:03 +0100, Bernt Drange wrote:
 Hello list. I just upgraded my computer from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core
3. The upgrade process went smoothly. Then I started Evolution, and the
evolution data server crashed, but the import kept going. I have one
exchange account set up - this one seems to work pretty fine.

So it
"imported" and didn't work?  Or did it just run the new version without
doing the (possibly lengthy) import process?

Well, the import of my excange account worked, but the local folder
import didn't.

 Mail is imported based on the physical file structure, so it can't be
messed up by lost configuration, although configuration in gconf is used to
tell if it needs to do the upgrade or not.

Right. I have an update for this: I messed around in my .gconf-folders
today, because I wanted to erase the old gnome 2.6-menu and get the
new 2.8 menu. I deleted a lot of old files and such, and then when I
logged out, in again and started evolution, it DID import the local
mail! Hooray I thought, until I noticed that the exchange account had
disappeared.

I then tried renaming the new ~/.evolution-directory, to try and have
evolution import both the exchange-accound AND the local mail, but
this second time it once again only imported the local mail.

In the end I just created a new exchange account, that didn't take
much time anyway.

--force-migrate command line option.  But be aware it will simply
delete evertying in ~/.evolution first.  so if you've received any new mail
stored there, it will be lost.

Aah, thanks for the tip. To bad I didn't see this one a bit earlier :)
I actually did an evolution --help to look for an option like this,
but I couldnt find any. Still not:

[berntd bender]~% evolution --help|grep mig

Returns nothing. Just in case you wonder:

[berntd bender]~% evolution --version
Gnome evolution-2.0 2.0.2

Thanks for a good tip and a great product!

Cheers,
Bernt