Re: test versions (was Re: [Evolution] How Best to use Evolution?)

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 21:39 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 09:44 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:24 -0500, Neil B. Cohen wrote:
[snip]
> I did some work which vastly improves vFolder memory footprint on a
> test branch (mentioned on the blood), but it looks like nobody cared
> enough to try it out, so i'm not sure i'll care enough to finish it
> off now.

We in the user community *always* appreciate it when a developer
reduces RAM usage.

If a test version (libs, bins, etc) can be totally installed in
/usr/local, won't squash my existing .gconf/apps/evolution and
.evolution (email is on an IMAP server), and I can easily switch
back and forth between 2.0.x and test, then I'd surely run the
test branch.

Well if you can build 'head' cvs, then you can build this branch, at least right now they align closely.  Its kind of tricky building the whole lot - i just use 'jhbuild', which builds a "full gnome tree" (you can tell it only to build evolution and all of its dependencies - it goes overboard though and builds python for e.g. because the jhbuild script needs it) copy into wherever you want (usually /opt/somewhere or ~/gnome).  It takes a long time to run, but is fairly easy to use and once you've tested you can just blow the whole lot away without affecting any 'package-installed' software.

You should really back up any data if testing against this particular branch though since it touches a lot of code and is only lightly tested.

The blog announcement was here:

http://codeblogs.ximian.com/blogs/evolution/archives/000385.html

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"I'm stuck in a reality I can't imagine could be real."