Re: [Evolution] Mail Delivery (failure evolution ximian com)

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 20:31 -0500, Chuck MATTSEN wrote:
On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 20:15 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 00:25 +0100, James Ascroft-Leigh wrote:
All,

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:57 +0900, fejj ximian com wrote:
If the message will not displayed automatically,
follow the link to read the delivered message.

Received message is available at:
www.ximian.com/inbox/evolution/read.php?sessionid-8463

I am using the 1.5.7 build from Debian unstable + experimental.  The
[snip]

Did you get this email privately, or via the ML?  This reminds me of
the social engineering I've seen on some recent viruses.

Indeed.  I've seen a few of them (I believe all coming /ostensibly/ via
the Evolution mailing list) which offer this link to read the
"undelivered" mail.  If you examine the message's source, however,
you'll see that the link which purports to be to www.ximian.com is
actually fake and in reality triggers the executable code contained in
the message.

The ones I've seen pretend to be from my ISP.  Very well done, too.

On a related note, I've seen quite a few which also have fake antivirus
taglines which claim the message has been scanned and is free of
malicious code.  Yeah, right ... :-)

But since we don't run Windows, it doesn't really matter!

--
Ron Johnson <ron l johnson cox net>