Re: [Evolution] Red-Carpet/XD2/conflict with Existing Gnome Desktop?

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 12:23 -0700, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
Guys,

Currently I'm using Gnome 2.4 on RH9. This was previously obtained from
nyquist rpms. However, he stopped supporting RH9 some time ago.
I would like to know.

     1. If I were to install XD2, will it currupt my current install?
        Will it overwrite it, or will it just install it into a
        different path?
     2. Can I upgrade say Evolution (I'm on 1.4.5) to 1.4.6 only and not
        have everything else screwed up?

No idea.  Haven't tried installing over nyquist.  It shouldn't "corrupt"
anything, so long as you don't run "rpm -Uvh --evil" or its equivalents
(and as long as post(un)install scripts don't fail).  Bear in mind that
XD2 is Gnome 2.2, so simple "rpm -Uvh" or its equivalent simply wouldn't
work.  The XD2 installer will warn you if it needs to uninstall any
packages, and it will presumably downgrade many of them if you run it.

An Evo install is certainly simpler and is less likely to cause problems
for you.

-Mark Gordon