[Evolution] Re: mail priorities

I'm not sure how big a flame I'm feeding, but I did check the archives.
What I saw from Ximian folks seemed a bit silly, specifically this
thread:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2002-June/019087.html

opinions on header definitions.

I don't think it's such a hard fact to face that the sheer volume of
Outlook users in itself creates the standard on what the priority
headers set by it are essentially the standard. I don't think it would
be a strech to say that the 1 to 5 inclusive range on X-Priority with 1
high, 5 low is close enough to a standard to be dependable for Outlook,
Mozilla, and Squirrelmail and that the X-MSMail-Priority header is 100%
dependable for sending to Outlook clients.

I also found this thread of a debate that says senders shouldn't be
allowed to sort the recipients email priorities.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-December/msg03221.html

As one person points out, all the recipient has to do is disregard what
the sender set if they don't think a high priority email is really a
priority. I think it makes sense for a boss to note to their
subordinates what's high priority and not.

I won't press the issue beyond this since it seems that the development
team has already stamped a big No on this feature request. I won't put
code where my mouth is since it would take me longer to learn how to
code it than it would be worth to use it, but I would also say that
just because some developers might not like to use the feature/option,
doesn't mean everyone else wouldn't want to, too.

Message: 3