Re: [Evolution] A few questions

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 02:56 -0500, Andrew wrote:

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 16:02, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
all of these are done in 1.5, none in 1.4

Thanks for your reply, Jeff.  I read online (while searching for RPMs :)
that 1.5 is unstable and that for a desktop release, I should wait for
2.0.  ...Exactly how unstable is that?  Is it worth my time trying out?

It crashes a bit.  But i've not lost only minor edits from it when it
crashes and i'm sending/editing mail (autosave works :).  There was one
(rather nasty) case of data loss, but that was a couple of months ago,
and i wouldn't expect any more (it was part of a new feature).  We've
all (the dev team) been using it for about 3 months or more.  And it
gets better every week (last week i had it crash a few times a day, this
week i've had 3-4 crashes all week).

Is there any way I could contribute to its progress (keeping in mind
that I am no programmer)?

Definitely.  Install it, use it, test it.  Submit bug reports.  Become
invovled in the weekly bug days, every Thursday, USA time.  These are
probably the most useful things that can be done right now, programmer
or otherwise.  The mailer bug count is way down at the moment, so its a
good time to try it (esp if u mainly use the mailer).

If you use imap, you can test 1.5 and easily go back.  If you use pop or
spool delivery then you can't very easily go back to 1.4.  If in doubt,
setup a test account and run it from there first (and e.g. use pop
'leave on server').  Right at this point, I would suggest using the
snapshots (or cvs) rather than the official releases, and when a
particularly stable one comes along, stick with it for a week or two
before upgrading.  That way you're more likely to hit a sweet-spot of
usability and stability faster - and you're going to be more up to date
on any bug fixes and help provide more useful bug reports too.

 !Z