[Evolution] Hidden Messages

I have a folder which does not show all of the messages in it.  At the
top of the screen, it says "0 new, 402 visible, 5088 total."  Why are
most of the messages invisible?  I can't find any setting where they're
hidden.  Under View/Current View, I have the default "Messages"
selected.  (Incidentally, doing a Ctrl-A to select all messages tells me
I have 436 selected.)  This is a normal folder (not virtual) and is in
maildir format.