[Evolution] contacts selector freezing

Evo 1.4.5 running on Gnome 2.6 / Libranet 2.8 / Debian 2.2.4

When creating a new message if start to type in the name of a recipient
or cc or bcc the drop down box appears after typing the first 3 letters
but if I select a name from the drop down evo freezes. The mouse cursor
still moves but all I can do is open a shell and kill evo. If I keep
typing until the drop down list shortens then I can select from it OK. I
don't think this has happened until just recently. The knowledgebase
makes no mention.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Chris