[Evolution] Can't connect to my IMAP folders suddenly?

Hi all;  I'm using Evo 1.4.6 on a Debian sid box.  I'm connecting to an
Exchange 5.5 server using IMAP and normal password authentication (I've
tried ntlm, which my server supports, but that doesn't work either).

For the last year or so it's worked fine, but recently I upgraded to the
above version of Evo and now I can't keep a connection to my server.
Sometimes it works for a while, but most of the time when I try to log
in I get an error "IMAP command failed: You do not have permission to
log on."  Of course, it's also possible that something changed on the
server that I don't know about.  After farting around with the
configuration, or just being persistent, it seems to work and get a
login, and continue to log in while it checks for new mail (I assume
it's not connected all the time).  Then a few hours later or the next
morning I'll get a dialog saying that it couldn't connect, and it starts
all over.

The very bizarre thing is that I also use fetchmail to download one of
my IMAP folders from the same account, leaving the other folders for
Evo, and fetchmail connects every single time, no problems at all.  I
run it in daemon mode and it connects every 10 seconds (!) and downloads
my mail.

One other point to raise: I've found myself having to shutdown my work
version of Evo (using evolution --force-shutdown), then start it up
again with DISPLAY set to my system at home.  I wonder if something is
getting hosed when that happens?

Basically, I don't know what to do next and I'm hoping someone can
provide me with some debugging options or other pointers...?  Is there a
way to see the dialog with IMAP server when Evo tries to connect?  That
would be informative.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools