Re: [Evolution] Moving evo data tree to another machine...

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 14:12 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 17:33 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:
> I know it's perfectly safe to backup ~/evolution and restore it to the
> same place without anything breaking. Is the same true for moving an
> archive of ~/evolution to a completely different machine?
>
> Obviously the hostname and IP address

these don't matter to evo

>  will be different on the new
> machine, whilst for what I'm planning the user name will stay the same

sounds good.

> but the user numerical ID will be different.

evo doesn't care about userid's, but the system does - so you'll need to
chown -R the migrated directory.
If you use tar it should do this, or if you run it as yourself obviously it will have no choice.
also, you'll want to backup ~/.gconf/apps/evolution for the settings.

> Can I expect this to work (obviously adjusting settings in evo as
> necessary once running) without and hand-editing of stuff first within
> the 'new' ~/evolution tree?

yes, with the chown exception mentioned above.
And assuming that the home directory is still at the same path.

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"