Re: [Evolution] Corrupted mail send to too many correspondant

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 18:36 +0200, Olivier DUGEON wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Le mar 06/07/2004 à 19:29, Jeffrey Stedfast a écrit :
On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:04 +0200, Olivier DUGEON wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

My problem comes with attachement and long list of correspondant (say
20). If I put me in copy, the e-mail I sent was correctly handle by
evolution. But, the mail was completely broken for my correspondant
who used outlook. The message and the attachement were not interpreted
correctly and saw as plain text (i.e. you see the base64 encoding of
the attachement in the body of the e-mail).

sounds like an Exchange bug or an Outlook bug.

I made extra test. So, I discover that all works well if you stay within
the same exchange server. Recipient that are serve by the same exchange
server received correctly the message.

But, people who are located in another exchange server received a
corrupted message.

I made another similar test (same message) but this time with mozilla
mail. The test ran ok. The main difference is that mozilla put a CR
after each e-mail address, so the file never exceed the 1024 bytes long
despite that the "To:" field is larger than 1024 bytes.

when Evolution encodes the email in base64, it sets the Content-
Transfer-Encoding: header to a value of "base64". You'll see this if you
look at the message sources in your Sent folder.

Outlook/Exchange/whatever is supposed to respect that header. apparently
one of them is not.

Yes, apparently the problem comes from an Exchange server because
outlook parse correctly the message when it was received from the same
server (and not corrupted of course !)

[...]

- Is somebody have experienced the same problem ?

I have never heard of anyone having any such problem

This explain why I never find any info on the web nor in mailing list.

- Is it a well-know bug of evolution or is it my configuration ?

might be an exchange bug? might be an evo bug. not enough info to know
for sure.

can you get us a copy of the raw message sources (as extracted from the
Sent folder's mbox file)? then we can check that the lines were folded
appropriately. if they weren't, then it's an evo bug. else it's an
Exchange bug.

I can send you directly the message if you want. I don't want to bounce
the mailing list.

- Is there something in the RFC which tell that the "To:" or "Cc:"
field couldn't be larger than 1024 char. ?

there is no such restriction in any of the mail rfcs. headers can be of
any length so long as they are folder appropriately (such that no single
*line* is longer than 1000 bytes)

Ok. This is the problem with evo. It never fold the single line. I
attach an extract of the message comes from the Sent mbox (I delete the
2nd attachement). You can see that the "To:" and "CC:" are not fold and
are longer than 1000 bytes.

it looks to me like you used Evolution's "View Source" to extract this
mesage content rather than getting it using a text editor from the file
on disk. To check my theory, I apsted all the To headers into a composer
and saved the message to disk and I got:

To: Olivier Dugeon <Olivier Dugeon wanadoo fr>, LONGFOO1 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo1 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO2 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo2 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO3 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo3 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO4 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo4 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO5 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo5 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO6 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo6 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO7 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo7 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO8 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo8 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO9 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo9 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO10 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo10 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO11 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo11 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO12 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo12 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO13 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo bar13 rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO14 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo14 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO15 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo15 bar rd francetelecom com>, LONGFOO16 BAR FTRD/FOO/BAR
         <longfoo16 bar rd francetelecom com>, zze-airtri01 ext FTRD/RSCL/LAN
         <airtri01 ext rd francetelecom com>

Notice how they are properly folded just as I suspected.

so this is most definetely not an Evolution bug.

- Is it possible to hack evolution (the mailer part) to split the
"To:" or "Cc:" line when it will be larger than 1024 char. ?

feel free to hack it any way you want.

anything's possible, but we won't be doing this.

Ok. I understand. Can you tell me in which file or files the header To
and CC are formated ie. which file(s) I need to hack ? The evo source is
too big to search in all files.

there doesn't seem to be anything to fix, it formats it properly
already.

but, the code would probably be in camel-internet-address.c

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.