Re: [Evolution] Local vrs. Spool...

Evolution 1.4.5 (at least) has descriptions of these options in the
Evolution Account Editor under the Receiving Mail tab.  They are:

Local Delivery: For retrieving (moving) local mail from standard mbox
formatted spools into folders managed by Evolution [i.e., under
~/evolution/local/*]

Standard Unix mbox spool or directory: For reading and storing local
mail in external standard mbox spool files.  May also be used to read a
tree of Elm, Pine, or Mutt style folders.

The first option "empties out" your /var/spool/mail/<user> file
periodically, copying those messages to an mbox file under
~/evolution/local.  The second option reads and updates
/var/spool/mail/<user> directly.

There may be other, less subtle, differences between the two as well
which I may not be aware of.  I've had the experience in the past using
the "mbox spool" option where I always had to click on "Send/Receive" to
check for new mail, as I could never get Evolution to do it for me under
that option.  That behavior may have changed by now, but I've long since
switched to using the "local delivery" option.

-norm